special needsIf a person with special needs cannot properly manage his or her personal, financial, or legal affairs, then a parent, family member or friend may apply to the Surrogate’s Court to become his or her legal guardian pursuant to Article 17A of the Surrogate’s Court Procedure Act or to the Supreme Court under Article 81 of the Mental Hygiene Law, whichever is appropriate for the person in need of a guardian.

A guardian ensures that the rights, interests, and desires of the person with disabilities are met and protected.

Our office prepares and files the guardianship application in the appropriate court and will represent you at the guardianship hearing.

For further information on Guardianships:

Do I need to be appointed as a Guardian?

What does a Guardian do?

The Question of Guardianship