Currently Browsing:

Do I Need to Be Appointed as a Guardian?

By Saundra M. Gumerove, Esq. A person is considered a competent adult upon reaching the age of 18 unless a Court has determined otherwise. A parent loses the right to make decisions for a child with a disability, whether it is a developmental, mental, or physical disability, once a child turns 18.

What is a Special Needs Trust?

By Saundra M. Gumerove, Esq. A Supplemental Needs Trust or Special Needs Trust is designed to hold assets for an individual who receives government benefits such as Supplemental Security Income or Medicaid. Typically, in order to qualify for these government benefits, you must qualify and have limited assets and income. A Supplemental Needs Trust or

Read More

What are the Types of Supplement Needs Trusts?

By Saundra M. Gumerove, Esq. There are two types of supplemental needs trusts: A Third Party Supplemental Needs Trust can be created by anyone except the individual with disabilities. The funds deposited into the trust come from someone other than the individual with disabilities.  The grantor or creator of this type of trust can designate who receives

Read More